APRIL IS ESOPHAGEAL CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
Heartburn Can Cause Cancer- Know The Facts: A Growing, Deadly Trend
• The kind of Esophageal Cancer caused by persistent heartburn is the fastest increasing cancer diagnosis in the Western World.
• Esophageal Cancer kills more than 80 percent of its victims, in large part because it’s usually detected at late stages.
How The Disease Starts
• Heartburn means caustic acid is splashing upward from the stomach, burning the lining of the esophagus
• That can cause the cells of the esophagus to change in a way that reduces heartburn symptoms, but those changes can also be the early signs of a precancerous change in the esophagus.
• This condition is known as Barrett’s Esophagus and only one out of 20 people even know they have it.
Before It Becomes Cancer
• Patients with Barrett’s Esophagus have 25 times the chance of developing aggressive Esophageal Cancer compared to the average person.
• Once you’ve got Barrett’s Esophagus, no antacids or acid blockers can undo the precancerous change- it will never go away on its own.
• New outpatient procedures that remove these cells have produced cure rates up to 98 percent, virtually eliminating the risk of developing deadly Esophageal Cancer.
Are You Or Someone You Love At Risk? Consult Your Doctor If These Symptoms Continue For A Week:
✓ Persistent heartburn or acid reflux
✓ Regurgitation of food, especially at night
✓ Sleep apnea
✓ Chronic cough
✓ Hoarseness of voice
✓ Sore throat
Learn more at www.ecan.org