Here is one the kids will love, and it will satisfy your need to eat light while feeding your body with tons of protein!
Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Per serving: 232 calories; 3 g fat(0 g sat); 11 g fiber; 32 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 23 mcg folate; 62 mg cholesterol; 13 g sugars; 318 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C; 168 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 430 mg sodium; 201 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 2½ lean protein, 1½ starch, ½ vegetable
Ingredients: 6 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound very lean ground chicken breast, such as Smart Chicken® 99% lean
¼ cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 (15 ounce) can sloppy joe sauce, such as Full Circle™ brand
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar (see Tip)
6 80-calorie wheat buns, such as Sara Lee® Delightful™ brand, toasted
1 unpeeled apple, cored and thinly sliced into rings
9 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- Coat a 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add ground chicken and green pepper to skillet and cook over medium-high until meat is browned and pepper is tender, breaking up meat as it cooks. Stir in the sloppy joe sauce and brown sugar; heat through.
- Place apple slices on bun bottoms. Top with meat and bun tops. Serve with celery sticks.
Eating Well. Chicken- Apple Sloppy Joes, 2019.