Small amounts of Molasses are approved for low FODMAP recipes. Here is an easy to make gingerbread recipe your entire family will enjoy! You can achieve a soft, chewy texture with this recipe if you remove the cookies from the oven when they are still a bit soft.
I love Gingerbread Cookies made in people shapes – but you can use whatever shaped cutter that you like.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 65, 2-inch (5 cm) cookies; serving size 1 cookie
Makes: 65 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 1/4 cups (471 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour (plus extra for rolling out dough)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 113 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup (160 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap)
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl to aerate and combine; set aside.
- Place butter in bowl of mixer and beat with flat paddle on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Beat in cinnamon, ginger and cloves, then beat in egg and molasses until well blended.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture, then turn machine onto low-speed. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing just until blended. Scrape dough onto large piece of plastic wrap. Use wrap to help shape a large, flat disc then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to develop. (You may freeze dough up to 1-month double wrapped in plastic wrap; defrost in refrigerator overnight before proceeding).
- Position racks in upper and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Line two half-sheet baking pans with parchment paper.
- Using one-third of dough at a time, roll out to a scant 1/4 inch (6 mm) thickness on lightly floured surface; you may need to flour your rolling pin too.
- Cut out cookies with shapes of choice and place on prepared cookie sheet 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until dry and light golden brown around the edges. If you want chewy cookies, remove from oven while the cookies are still soft. If you want crisper cookies, bake for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cool cookies on sheets placed on racks. Cool pans between batches. Gingerbread cookies are ready to eat or decorate, as described in the headnote. Cookies may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.